Sunday, January 15, 2012

If you're going to San Francisco, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair

Yesterday we took the spontaneous drive to San Francisco (an hour and a half away) to meet my cousin, Megan, who had spontaneously driven with her friend Lindsay from Utah for the weekend!

We really were there... see the Golden Gate bridge in the distance? It was a bit hazy.


Sea lions on the wharf: 


It was a gorgeous day and hardly chilly at all! California in January can be pretty great like that.

Megan and Lindsay on the wharf:


For the limited knowledge that I have of San Francisco, it was kind of fun being the one who knew more about it than the others and could recommend places to go and things to do!




After walking around pier 39 and thoroughly checking out the ocean, we decided on dinner at Boudin's. I had been looking forward to this clam chowder sourdough bread bowl ALLLLLL day! It was pretty magical.


Across the way there were a ton of natives watching the SF football game at the sport's bar. Luckily the niners won!

Me and Megs:


After dinner at the Pier we headed to Ghirardelli square - one of my all time favorite places pre-lactose intolerance.

Our picture for the day! (taken by Lindsay)



 Last time we were here I had a heavenly dark chocolate hot fudge sundae :) Unfortunately Ghirardelli square's ice cream parlor doesn't offer anything non-dairy, so I enjoyed watching everyone else enjoy their sundaes! Jon was so sweet and gave me the chocolate dipped strawberry from the top of his dessert.


We left on the promises of a "world's-best-hot-chocolate" (named by Jon) from Cocoabella's in the Union Square mall to hold me over. BUT after driving for about an hour to find parking, we made it to the mall, only to be the people in line DIRECTLY BEHIND the last person getting a hot chocolate before Cocoabella's shut their machine down for the night. And it was only, like 7:30. WHAT?? I told Jon it just means we will have to go back again soon :) And luckily we will be headed to Redwood City at the end of the month for a Nerdfighting adventure, so more on that to come...

Here is a picture from the middle of the central, round escalators in the Union Square mall. We are on the second level here of the 5 story mall.


It would have been way fun to spend a whole day in Union Square. Between the Tiffany's, Swarovski's, Saks Fifth, Kate Spade, Vera Bradley and Betsey Johnson - we definitely had our hands full. Jon ALMOST convinced me to get a Vera Bradley purse. In his defense it was 50% off, but I just couldn't do it. I have such a phobia of spending money! I felt like the REAL fun of the trip was just getting to come at all! A beautiful afternoon and evening in San Francisco with my best cuz and delicious food - that's really what it's all about.

Oh, and even without the hot chocolate, I still found myself a delightful 60% dark bar with cherries and blueberries and almonds in it. Happiness :)

Hope everyone else is having a great mid-January weekend!

Next stop: School.


No comments: