Friday, January 14, 2011

We Belong

I've always been grateful for my membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. And now, more than ever, as we face big decisions in our lives I'm very grateful for the power of prayer, the comfort of having the spirit to guide me daily, and especially for temples where Jon and I can go to feel peace, meditate, pray for important answers and be uplifted. Jon took this picture at the Sacramento Temple when we attended a sealing in November:


My favorite part about it was the angel Moroni on top of the temple calling towards the sun. I thought it perfectly captured the idea of the temple. Beauty, simplicity, eyes toward heaven and calling towards new life. I decided to make it our link in the sidebar for the church website. Check it out! --> 

I know that in the Lord's plan, I have a place. I belong. Jon and I have SO many blessings because of the lives we live, based on the teachings of Jesus Christ. I know we're not perfect in any means, but that's why the gospel is so great. It's about improving daily, developing a stronger relationship with Heavenly Father, and coming to know Christ as our Savior and the only way to be redeemed.

Starting this year in 2011 I renewed my personal goal to read the scriptures daily. In primary our theme this year is "I know the Scriptures are true". I've never been very good about reading my scriptures every single day and really studying them like I truly want to. So far this year we're 14 days in and I haven't missed one :) I know I still have a long way to go and they say it takes 21 days to make a habit, so we'll see if I can make it. Already though I can notice a huge change in my week because I'm taking time to listen to the spirit daily and learn from what the scriptures have to teach me. Hopefully I can make it through everything by 2012 (including the whole old and new testament). That would be really awesome. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Tom and Juli said...

(Most Days) I wake up at 6:30 and study my scriptures before the kids wake up. It seriously is what gets me through the day, and miraculously I have more time in the days that I read to accomplish all the things I need to get done vs the days I don't read. Keep up the good work! It's totally worth the time!

Candice Rose Humes said...

I too feel super grateful for gospel in our lives right now and it really is awesome to be able to communicate in such a real way with Heavenly Father. Good luck with your goals this year. When you do righteous things you will be so hugely blessed in every way! Thanks for your awesome post!