Wednesday, December 4, 2013

My Cousin Spencer

Dear friends and family,

This is my cousin Spencer:


He was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 12. Up until now he has been able to fight it with the help of surgeries and chemotherapy. He is one of the strongest kids I've ever known. I think I always took it for granted that he was just amazing and always seemed to pull through even when the odds seemed stacked against him. Unfortunately recent turns of events have indicated that we shouldn't anticipate his ability to fight off the cancer much longer.

Jon and I have already asked that friends and family not get us anything for Christmas. We really don't need anything and Kate has recently been given a lot of hand-me-downs (THANK YOU!) so we are set. We are asking that anyone who might have spent money on us, please consider donating to Spencer and his family to help with their medical bills instead. It would sincerely mean MUCH more to us than receiving "things" this year. Although gifts are nice and thoughtful, this season has helped me see how much material items just don't matter. When all you really want in life (and for others) is to feel appreciated and know that you are important to others, that they care, and that you matter to someone.

A friend of my cousin's family has set up this donation plan which I've pasted below and is also on FB if anyone wants more info. We appreciate your time and support for our family this Christmas season.

Love, Jon, Steph, Kate, Margo & Baby II

***

"As many of you know, almost 6 years ago, our friend Spencer Hardy was diagnosed with Ewing Sarcoma, a very aggressive form of spinal cancer. Spencer was about 12 years old when he was initially diagnosed and is valiantly and courageously fighting this disease. He is a true inspiration to us all.

In order to help the Hardy family and Spencer, Natalee Lence, a talented pianist and musician and close personal friend of the Hardy's has generously offered to donate 100% of the proceeds for a limited time from the sale of her current cd, Reflection. Natalee has asked that I be the contact to handle the sale and distribution for this project. There are only 100 cd's available. We are asking for a minimum donation of $20 per cd. Donation amounts can be higher of course. If you would like to order her cd, Reflection, and donate to Spencer's cause please message or call me at 503-330-1004 to make arrangements for purchase and for info on how proceeds will be donated to the family.

If you're not aware, Natalee's cd is a compilation of inspiring piano and orchestral music. I listen to her music weekly and each time I hear it I am uplifted and strengthened. I ask you to consider this special cd this Christmas as a gift for you and your loved ones. Every dollar collected will go to help the Hardy family with their medical expenses. Thank you for helping us help the Hardy's! Please feel free to copy this post on your own facebook account to spread the word. Thank you all for your prayers and support to the Hardy family.

Sincerely,
Nicolle

Spencer's Caring Bridge site
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/spencerhardy


http://www.nataleelence.com
 


1 comment:

The BaKeRs said...

Steph! I had no idea!!! I am such a bad bestie