Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Truth Be Told

It's hard to believe that this was already 18 days ago:
Left to right: Jon, Steph, Grandpa, Gram and Kate about 15 hours old
We haven't quite gotten back into "normal" life yet. Jon and I are both still on maternity/paternity leave, so most of our days are spent at home enjoying Katherine and getting to know her.

I wanted to take this opportunity to post the whole truth about my pregnancy experience and dispel some of the myths and old-wives tales I heard. Mostly because I think that pregnant women really only share the scary stories and I want people to know that there is such a thing as a happy pregnancy!

Myth: You are having a boy if you carry low and out in front.
Truth: I carried low the whole time and you couldn't tell I was pregnant from behind. Obviously we had a girl, and I've decided that everyone's bodies carry babies differently. Thank you, Kate for not making me look ginormous!

Myth: Girls make you more sick because you have more estrogen.
Truth: I never had morning sickness. Not once. In fact, I felt fantastic for most of my pregnancy! Just sleepy.

Myth: Your baby will have a lot of hair if you have bad heartburn.
Truth: Kate had a LOT of hair - and I never had major heartburn. I had a little indigestion a handful of times which always went away with a tums. Real heartburn I think I only had twice. I'm pretty sure it's because of what I ate and the fact that my stomach was squished to the size of a quarter, not because our baby was working on becoming Rapunzel.

Myth: You will gain a lot of weight when you're pregnant.
Truth: I ate the same way I did before being pregnant, did yoga every day, and kept working on my feet up to 37 weeks. I gained a total of 18 lbs. And my doctor said I was perfectly healthy.

Myth: You will have crazy cravings in the middle of the night.
Truth: I don't think I craved anything. Ever. I definitely liked eating fresh fruit, but I like that stuff anyway - and having a summer baby was perfect because it's right when peaches, plums and strawberries are in season! I didn't eat them any more than I normally would. But they certainly were delicious :)

Myth: You will be up peeing all night.
Truth: I slept all the way through the night even at 41 weeks.

Myth: You will have swollen ankles and fat feet.
Truth: I was really worried about this one because I already have wide feet. Small feet, yes, but there are a lot of shoes in stores that I can't even get my feet into because they are so wide HAHA embarrassing :) Luckily for me I did not get cankles OR wider feet. They stayed their perfectly normal size the whole time. I think once or twice when I was sitting for a long time my feet did get a little swollen from it being so dang hot. But that went away as soon as I got up and started walking again.

Myth: Your baby will kick you in the lungs and the ribs all the time.
Truth: I think Kate kicked me in the ribs once. When she was bigger I could definitely feel her up in my ribs when I would sit down, which would make it hard to get comfortable for a few hours, but she never took my breath away or kicked me all the time. And once she dropped I was way more comfortable and even went to see Dark Knight Rises in theaters 3 days before she was born. And I didn't have to get up and pee during the movie once.

Myth: You will drive your husband nuts with crazy mood swings!
Truth: Although I was a little more prone to crying and being silly-emotional, I always knew when it was just irrational and I never had intense mood swings. It was not like I suddenly became bi-polar and couldn't control my temper! I felt pretty much like myself the whole time.

Overall I sincerely LOVED being pregnant. I never thought I would be one of those women. I was sure I would have bad morning sickness and even worried about having to go on bed rest. I worried about having a c-section because of my small frame and I thought that Kate would be breech like Jon and I were.

But in the end everything went so well! I tried to just LOVE each day of my pregnancy and whenever I was a little too tired, got out of breath walking to class, or started to feel frustrated because I had to try on 4 outfits in the morning before finding something that fit, I would stop and remember that I am extremely blessed to be able to have children of my own, and that there is nothing in the world that I have ever wanted more than to be a mom. Maybe that's part of why my whole experience ended up being awesome.

I definitely feel like I was SUPER blessed. I understand that not everyone has this easy of a time being pregnant. And who knows, maybe the next one will be really hard :) But at least with Kate, she has been incredibly fantastic and we could not have asked for a better experience. So far we think she is the best thing ever!

6 comments:

Lindsey and Jared said...

I want to say I am happy for you, but secretly I want to BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! lol

I am so glad you had a great pregnancy and I pray that if I have baby #2 that I can have just ONE thing from your awesome list!

Brittany Lewis said...

I am so happy you had such a great pregnancy! Like you said, I believe pregnancy is a completely different experience for different people. I do have to say I am a little jealous of you, since I hated being pregnant. haha. That sounds terrible. I was very happy to have a baby, though. :) hope you guys are doing well!

The BaKeRs said...

See I told you that you had a rockstar pregnancy! You are my idol haha! Love u!

Jackee said...

Yeah, there are a lot of myths that actually don't take in this complex thing called individual biology. I'm glad things turned out so well for you!

Alison + Brandon said...

My pregnancy was a lot like yours--I loved it! Glad everything went so well for you, and that you got such a delightful girl out of the bargain. :-)

merrilykaroly said...

Truth: You are one lucky ducky. The sleeping all the way through the night without getting up to pee... well, you musta done something right in the pre-existence! :)