Friday, August 5, 2011

Creating Individually

Jon and I are both creative in our own ways. This year (being the year of creation) we have each tried to pursue our creative sides a little more.

I actually changed "careers" (if you will) and am now working at Beverly's fabric and crafts where I get to make things, and cashier a little too :) On your first day of work you get a yard of whatever fabric you want to make your own apron. I picked out this blue "floral" pattern and splurged for an extra little bit of polka dots to accent it with pockets and straps:


Now I was going to be all amazing and document each step and post a tutorial on making the apron... but I didn't use a pattern. I just made it up as I went, and because of that, it became too tedious to also try and keep track of steps... So instead you just get to see the finished product! I added buttons and made the bow that is in the center just to give it some final touches:


Needless to say, my job is as fun as my apron is adorable (yes I'm very happy with how it turned out) and I am loving my new job! I just wish I had changed years ago, but actually I think that this was perfect timing. I got to meet awesome people at my last job and make great friendships, and now I can have a job that I just enjoy, and I still get to work with my best friend!

In the meantime, Jon is hard at work on his master's in Creative Writing. I'm telling you, he has improved SO much since he first started this major in his BA 4 years ago. It's really fun to watch him grow and do something he loves. He recently challenged himself to write a story a day for a whole year. You can read his post here and keep up with how he is doing! He just started August 1st, so it's not too late to catch up on his flash :)

That's what we've been doing lately. Check back soon for more!

8 comments:

Tom and Juli said...

That is seriously adorable! I love it. It seems like a really fun place to work, I'm jealous. :)

Steph said...

Thanks Juli! It is super fun. Even with the "boring stuff" I'm having the most fun that I've ever had at a job :)

merrilykaroly said...

That's so cute! Wow, you seem to pretty much be talented at everything.

I'm so glad you are loving your new job. Makes me feel all happy inside :)

lilbailey said...

Your apron is ridiculously adorable! Super cute :) What a fun thing to wear to work, I didn't realize you guys made your own, I never thought about it. I think our next project should be apron making! Sounds like you both are having lots of fun!

Brittany Lewis said...

super cute, steph! so, i'm guessing that you wear an apron while working? what other kinds of things do you make at work? sounds really fun--i'm glad you're enjoying it!

Katrina said...

That is the cutest apron ever! I'm glad you found something that you love, because everyone should love what they do. :-)

Steph said...

Thank you, everyone! I love it too. Yep the apron is to wear while working :) I'm so glad that I like what I do!

Lanenga Family said...

Congrats on the new job Steph! Cute apron--job well done! :)