Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Cooking with Jon & Steph - Strawberry Tartlets

Welcome to the Alston home blog!


After working on our photography so much lately I feel like I've really missed our regular family blog. These cute seasonal tiles (pictured above) came from my sister in law Jackee. You should follow her. She's an awesome writer!

But I know what you really all came for... the strawberry tartlets:


Last week was my friend Bay's birthday. And since it is strawberry season, I thought it would be the perfect time to try out a unique birthday dessert for her! My sister Michelle came over and we picked up some deliciously red strawberries from the local stand in Orangevale. Oh my GOODNESS they were perfect.

This recipe is so easy and quick, and it looks cute too! They are best when fresh and crisp. I would highly recommend that you do NOT refrigerate them for a few days and then try to eat them again, because they turn saggy. This recipe makes me think it would be really fun to do a summer party all themed with strawberry desserts :)

STRAWBERRY TARTLETS
Prep: 15 min  Bake: 10 min + cooling

12 Wonton wrappers (you can buy a bag of pre cut dough wrappers. at our grocery store they are in the organic section)
3 Tbl melted butter
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup Mascarpone cheese (I couldn't find this, so I used cream cheese instead and it was fantastic!)
2 Tbl honey
2 tsp orange juice
3 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
Fresh mint (optional)
Whipped cream

Brush one side of each wonton wrapper with butter. Place brown sugar in a shallow bowl. Press buttered side of wontons into sugar to coat. Press wontons sugared side up into greased muffin cups.

Bake at 325 degrees F for 7-9 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack to cool. (This is really delicious because the butter and brown sugar carmelize in the bottom of the wonton cup!) In a bowl, combine the cheese, honey and orange juice. Spoon about 2 Tbl of mixture into each wonton cup. Top with strawberries. Garnish with whipped cream and mint if desired.

Makes 1 dozen

Bon Apetit! 

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Ohmygoodnessthatlookssoyoummy!!!!!!!! haha Great job on the tartlets, friend! And you photographed it beautifully!

Brittany Lewis said...

yum, looks good! i also have to say that i love your family photo at the top of the page! it's a great one!

Bay said...

Mmm they were oh so yummy! Thanks again for the birthday treat Stephanie!

Steph said...

Thank you ladies! Totally my new favorite dessert :)