Friday, March 25, 2011

March Madness

No, this post is not about basketball. It is however a brief update of all the happenings of the Alston Family as of late. Since going to Washington DC, my new job has been kicking my butt. 52 hours of work last week, 48 hours this week, visiting teaching, going to school, an astronomy midterm and my primary calling all keep me so busy that by the time Friday comes around I am just too exhausted to do anything but sleep.

Oh by the way, did I also mention that I am still married and have a puppy at home? They are important too and lately I feel like they get the shaft. Jon is always so supportive though and regularly sends me uplifting texts during the work day like "I love you and all the hard work that you do!" and even with my crazy schedule he never complains but makes me breakfast, lunch AND dinner every day. He plans out the groceries and shops for them every week, as well as doing our laundry every Saturday. He listens to me vent about my work day when I get home, and he also encourages me to take time for myself to do the things I like to do. I couldn't have asked for a better husband :)

In the meantime, I wanted to let all of you know that we're still alive. I haven't been online at all the last couple of weeks let alone taken the time to blog. Finally this evening I took a little while to catch up on reading some friend's recent posts and figured it was important to post an update of our lives, even if it's crazy and brief. Mainly because Jon and I make these blog posts into a book at the end of the year and I think that it's important to take inventory of your life every now and again. See where you're going and where you have been.

Someday I will look back at this post and say "ah, remember when our life was like that?" It's why I'm such a big fan of journaling. Although you can imagine that journal writing hardly happens these days anymore either. It takes me a full week to write a one page letter to my sister in law on her mission. oy.

In the midst of all this, I had a really thoughtful visiting teacher and friend who offered to make us dinner one night this week. I really didn't think we needed it, but I can't turn down free food, and I remember hearing once that it's important to let people serve you, especially since it means that they are usually following a prompting from the spirit. So on Thursday we had delicious enchiladas and spanish rice and because of the "free" evening we actually were able to go to the temple together. It was just what I needed at the end of a crazy month. I'm so grateful that we were able to attend the temple and spend time together as husband and wife. And the blessings really go both ways because that night my visiting teacher found out that she was accepted into the Master's program she has been working to get into! Life is good.

Anyway, I should have a good cooking post up soon. I really want to show you guys this wonton soup we made! I hope you're all having a happy month and that heading into April we all have more sun :)

No comments: